Chief of Staff
£40,000 per annum + Commission
This is an exciting new role supporting the Secretary General, management team and Board to develop and deliver strategic projects, expand ICC’s Board level profile, strengthen connectivity to international institutions and partner organisations and support the team in the operational running of the organisation.
It is now beyond doubt that we face some real and significant challenges to free trade from populism and nationalism - greater than at any time since World War II. Recent developments in relation to Brexit and the Trump administration, including the intent to introduce tariffs on a unilateral basis underline the threat to the global economy at a time when underlying growth is beginning to pick up across the world. ICC plays a key role in ensuring the UK private sector is acting as a champion for the benefits of inclusive free trade values and supporting progressive solutions to today’s challenges. As a Chief of Staff you will be helping the management team and board to deliver on this ambitious agenda.
- Develop and maintain an active board level contact network and engagement programme with a focus on the FTSE350 including the right level of Board and international speaker representation in events and communications
- Support ICC’s programme of strategic engagement at the UN, G20 and WTO
- Act as day to day liaison with ICC’s global Chief of Staff to help ensure programme activities are aligned to global priorities
- Work with the communications team to ensure the Secretary General is effectively profiled as the face of ICC in the UK on relevant media, at major trade events etc…
- Ensure Board members are profiled as speakers and contributing to strategic communications
- Support an effective, rolling programme of high-level company and partners engagement to deepen relations
- Coordinate the successful delivery of annual Board and Subcommittee meetings including agendas, papers, minutes, actions and practical support
- Coordinate the timely delivery of the ICC Annual General Meeting agendas and Annual Report
- Coordinate the delivery of timely KPI reports across the business and provision of a KPI dashboard
- Support the effective management and coordination of audit, finance and payroll
- Maintain an up to date company policy manual
- Manage the office budget
- Manage and maintain effective office systems to support the team – IT, cleaning, security, equipment etc…
- Contribute to developing and maintaining a fun, cohesive and learning environment
- Develop and deliver an annual staff survey including analysis and report of results
- Undertake day to day administrative tasks and contribute to wider team goals as required.
- Provide line management duties for an internship to support strategic projects – setting clear objectives, providing direction and guidance on workload and output.
The ‘fit’ with the team is absolutely essential so over and above everything else we are looking for the right character and personality. For all roles you we require the following skills:
- ‘Can do’, positive personality un-phased by obstacles and able to adapt to changing priorities and tasks
- Highly personable and able to develop long lasting, professional senior-level client facing relationships and partnerships
- Business development mindset able to effectively manage budgets, identify and convert opportunities into sales
- Interest in international business policy, the regulatory environment and corporate priorities
- First class verbal and written communication with excellent analytical skills and good attention to detail
- Proven project management skills – ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders to coordinate and deliver projects on time
- Team player and practical in nature, able to operate in a fast pace small business environment
- Confident self-starter able to take the initiative and work independently alongside others
- Degree and/or postgraduate qualifications in international business, service management, economics, marketing, trade, finance or commercial law
- Familiarity with the landscape of UK business organisations, government and international institutions
- Experience of working in a membership organisation
- Foreign languages
Successful candidates will be offered a 12 month contract with a 6 month probation period and an option to extend into a permanent contract after the 12 month period. Benefits include:
• Permanent contract plus sales commission bonus scheme — 10% of sales over budget
• 25 days holiday plus public holidays
• 1 extra ‘summer’ day (2 half days across June– August)
• Training - Adobe InDesign, Shopify, Amazon, Infusionsoft
• 3 days annual learning and development allowance
• 4% employer contributions to company pension scheme
• Flexible working
• Access to company annual travel pass/student loan payment scheme
• International travel
ICC is an ideal springboard to further your career. We consistently attract top talent with our staff going on to fantastic jobs in industry and government. We operate as a modern and agile small company with a flat structure where leadership, entrepreneurialism and team work are more important than hierarchies and unnecessary processes. You will get a lot of responsibility across a broad range of activities with scope to make the role yours. The working environment is often as important as the role for those working at ICC. You will be working with a young, ambitious and fun team representing a variety of nationalities and cultures. ICC offers a modern, productive working environment, focused on output and outcomes with plenty of responsibility for everyone. We promote maximum flexibility, recognising that we operate within a global environment. Core office hours fit within standard UK office hours 9-5pm with the ability for individuals to flex hours to suit needs as appropriate. The office is open plan with the functionality for hot desking - you will be provided with a mobile phone and have access to a company laptop for remote working.
We are an active equal opportunities employer, representing and working with top international companies and a global contact network. We welcome applications from candidates that represent our clients and networks that can add value to the team.
INTERNATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE [ICC]
ICC is the largest world business organisation representing 45 million companies of all sizes and sectors and 1 billion employees in over 100 countries. We are the only business organisation with UN Observer Status and provide a leading voice for business at inter-governmental level - United Nations, G20/B20, World Trade Organization. ICC United Kingdom is the representative office of ICC in the UK. We are a founding member of ICC and one of the most dynamic and innovative offices in the worldwide network playing a leading role in key areas of policy including G20, digital trade, banking, trade in services and dispute resolution with a busy annual programme of policy fora, delegations and events. We represent some of the UK’s largest and most successful international trading companies and work closely with a host of government departments and UK business organisations as well as ICC’s global network and international institutions.