Top networking tips from Anderson Hoare
Successful networking is a combination of excellent interpersonal skills, poise and confidence. Even if you feel slightly uncomfortable networking, it is really important to act “as if” you do!
Research shows that you have around 7 seconds to make a good first impression! Anderson Hoare’s top networking tips are as follows:-
- Social Media - Ensure that your social media profiles are always up-to-date. Recruiters often use social media sites to research potential candidates, and check out your skills and experience
- First impressions last, so when meeting people, look smart and memorable
- Don’t be afraid to ask friends for introductions
- Follow up on introductions - Don’t just send one email and lose touch….keep in contact and build relationships
- Be proactive
- Encourage referrals – ask for them!
- Help others and they will help you!
- Take your business cards everywhere – you never know when you might meet people
- Don’t push people – you will just sound like a pushy sales person
“The only way to get people to do anything is to recognize their importance and thereby make them feel important. Every person's deepest lifelong desire is to be significant and to be recognized.”
― Keith Ferrazzi (Networking ‘guru’)