Top job searching tips from Anderson Hoare
Published: 17 Feb 2016 By Chloe Brassey, Anderson Hoare
Now that January is well and truly over, it’s the perfect time to reflect on getting the most out of your job. Perhaps you’re looking for more of a challenge, returning back to work or need more of a work life balance – whatever you need; here are some top tips to help get you on the right track.
Make sure your CV is fully up-to date, well laid formatted, with correct spelling, grammar and contact details (and ideally no longer than two pages). We review around 400 CVs every day so make sure yours stands out for all the right reasons.
Remember – You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression! Time keeping and manners cost nothing and go a long way, the same goes for dressing appropriately for an interview. Jeans, shorts, tiny skirts or a bad attitude won’t win you any brownie points with a prospective employer.
Get social! LinkedIn, Secs in the City, Twitter and Facebook are great platforms for you to get noticed – use these to your advantage
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail - interview golden rules are:
- Arrive ahead of time, around 5-10 minutes is ideal as this will allow for any unforeseen delays
- Don’t be tempted to have a crafty cigarette to calm your nerves – you’ll be amazed at how the smell lingers and gives a bad impression.
- Don’t take a bath in your fragrance; this can be equally as off putting as the smell of stale smoke.
- Make sure you have a spare copy of your CV with you
- Research the company and people you would potentially be working with / for
- Have some relevant questions prepared
- Know your CV thoroughly so you can talk through your skills and experience with ease and confidence.
- Smile, be polite and thank the interviewer for their time – be sure to leave a great lasting impression!
So, what are you waiting for?! Get working on that CV and send it over to us – we are always in need of brilliant candidates and would love to help you.