Networking - The best way to find a job
Published: 22 Mar 2016
Business networking is one of the most important tools to use throughout your career. “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” could not be more accurate and networking is the best way to make this work for you.
There are unlimited opportunities in London, it is important to put yourself out there and make the most of them. ‘Networking’ is essentially just building relationships. Every situation is a new opportunity for you to widen your network, whether that is your social network or business network, and more often than not the two actually interlink. People do business primarily with people that they know and like, this is why networking (and your friends) can work in your favour, it makes it more personal.
Using networking to find your next job is one of the key ways to get that step up on other candidates and get ahead of the game. Not all job vacancies are posted on company websites or job boards, in fact, some of the best jobs aren't listed anywhere except in the minds of CEOs and Managers (or even one of your friends). In some cases networking can lead to information and job leads, often before a formal job role is created.
Here are my top tips for using business networking to find your next role:
- Before developing your online business network, make sure that you have created a solid and complete online profile.
- When introducing yourself in a social or professional situation, describe yourself positively and concisely.
- Always be ready to make a contact and exchange business cards.
- 'What goes around comes around' - Networking isn’t about just helping yourself, be helpful to others and you will be helped in return.
- Act quickly and efficiently on any referrals and contacts you are given and all new contacts that you meet.
- Always have a positive attitude and aim high - be ambitious and realistic as it will attract like-minded people with the same positive attitude…just like dating!
In the spirit of networking, feel free to get in touch and we will be more than happy to help with your next job search.
Grace Tedstone – Office Manager
Tiger Recruitment Ltd