Legal Secretarial Manager
This is one of the world’s largest international law firms, with great benefits, career prospects and the training given, making them a world class place to work. They have beautiful offices deep in the heart of London and they are currently looking to find a Secretarial Manager to oversee a team of around 80 staff. The firm have an outstanding reputation for their training programs and for always looking to develop their employee’s skills from within meaning they have a low staff turnover.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal skills, will need great leadership qualities and experience in motivating and getting the best out of people. The most successful candidate will be one that is extremely organised, enthusiastic and has a hands on approach who will be willing to hit the ground running in their new role. The main purpose of the role is to be a strong and positive role model as the Secretarial leader for the secretarial coordinators, secretaries and team administrators and to provide a leading performance in management, structure and development of the team and generally using your leadership and abilities to contribute to the firm’s overall success.
- Daily line management of the team, ensuring that Partners and fee earners are supported to a high standard by effectively managing the performance, workflow and resources accordingly.
- Planning and retaining an appropriate level of resourcing to meet internal and external client needs, cultivating a flexible service with resources being efficiently used across groups when necessary.
- Developing, managing and motivating the Secretarial Coordinators, and assisting them in the development of their people management skills and workflow.
- Providing guidance and advice to the team, mentoring and coaching where necessary.
- Undertaking annual/mid-year performance and salary review processes and ensure a consistent approach is taken to grading
- Planning, developing and implementing strategy for staff training and development; establishing and maintaining appropriate systems for measuring and monitoring achievements against timescales.
- Providing a point of escalation for the team on all people-related issues.
- Planning manpower requirements, including cross group secondments and re-deployments, flexible working requests etc., with the overall aim of increasing flexibility and mobility amongst the secretaries and team administrators.
- Assisting and liaising with HR Advisory and Resourcing teams to recruit and retain the best team members, to give them appropriate training and to support their career development.
Person Specification, Education, Experience and qualifications:
- Able to effectively manage a diverse and inclusive team, and support the career development of individuals.
- Advanced understanding and knowledge of secretarial roles and services
- Lead by example and set expectations for continuous development and improvement
- Able to support change and ensure team does the same; driving through change in a fast changing environment.
- Ability to develop self and others; with exceptional coaching and mentoring skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work using own initiative and demonstrate ability to manage, motivate and contribute to the team.
- Previous experience of managing a busy secretarial team
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a professional services environment
- Experience in a partnership and/or working as a legal secretary would be advantageous
To apply, please click on the button and send your Cover Note/CV with your contact details to Denis Simpson.
**For our application policy please view Career Legal's company information page on our website. Career Legal is a Recruitment Agency and is advertising this vacancy on behalf of one of its Clients.
It is Career Legal’s policy, as a matter of courtesy, to respond to all applications within three working days. However because of the volume of applications, we are sometimes unable to respond to individual candidates. If we have not contacted you within three working days your application has been unsuccessful and your details have not been retained. Please apply for any other position that you may see in the future. Thank you.
Career Legal is celebrating its 24th successive year in legal recruiting for the legal community across London and throughout the UK. Specific legal divisions cover full spectrum of legal recruitment on a permanent, contract and temporary basis. Specialist Legal Recruitment consultants with many years proven experience cover Legal Professional Services, Legal Business Support and Legal Office Support areas. Career Legal is known for being the legal recruiter of choice for: Lawyers, Legal Risk & Compliance, Legal Patent & Trademark, Legal Accounting, Legal Human Resources, Legal Marketing & Business Development, Legal Facilities Management, Paralegal, Legal DP & Creative Services, Legal Facilities & Office Support, Front of House and Legal Secretarial Personnel including Legal PA’s.